Old December 12th 06, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
John[_8_]

Default HUD view of a near-miss

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:58:13 GMT, wrote:

Here's a very close call as recorded through the HUD camera of a T-38C.

Graphic illustration of the dangers of low-level navigation.
Unfortunately, though these routes are published, most civil pilots
either are not aware of them or just ignore them.

Back in the 70's, My student and I nearly collided with a helo over
the gulf somewhere east of Victora TX in a TA-4J. We were at 500' MSL
on a published, highly used low-level navigation training route. When
I called FSS about the near-miss, they told me that the helos flying
to the rigs seldom filed flight plans and never talked to them. They
also told me that they nearly always flew at 500-1000' - which was
within the published altitudes for that route!

John Alger USN(ret)
1972-1997 // 1310,1320
TA-4J, A-7E, EC-130Q, P-3B