Old January 7th 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Default Flapped Glider Recommendations...

Noel,

noel.wade wrote:
Hi All,

Assuming a budget of under $30k,

snip
BUT, I must say that the quick rigging of the Russia and its automatic
control hookups are really, really nice (as is its maneuverability and
other handling qualities).

snip
Congratulations - you have one of the most gratifying illnesses known to
mankind: the illness (the decision process) is almost as fun as the cure
(flying your new toy).

Bottom line: I want a 15m ship, and want it to be easy to rig and fly
(so I fly it more often). It has to be a good weak-weather performer,
and cost less than $30k (preferably closer to $25k).

The top names that spring to mind a Mini-Nimbus, Mosquito, LS-3.
(And yes I've read the Moffat article, Johnson Reports, and done a
crap-load of research online about these planes)

snip
I've chatted with Mini and Mosquito pilots (its surprisingly hard to
find someone who's flown both), and am hoping to fly both a Mini and
an LS-3a at Minden this winter/spring (though if I buy one, I think
I'd prefer the flaperon LS-3). No clear decision as of yet...

By my characterization you've listed 3 1st generation glass 15-meter
ships. Though Mini-Nimbii C models do have carbon (I believe), the
basic design is 1st-generation 15-meter. Each on your list pretty much
uses the same Wortmann FX 67K 150/170 airfoils.

Add to that list Slingsby Vegas and Zunis. Both have automatic control
hookups. The Zuni has but one loose (main) pin; I can't remember if
Vegas also have a loose tailplane pin (Zunis do not). While I've seen
neither listed recently in "Soaring", and I'd guess Vegas have higher
asking prices, neither being 'German glass' both probably inhabit price
points below German equivalents. Zunis are Experimental (no ATC).

I've rigged both, and both are as simple as any 15-meter glass ship
(with distinctly lighter-than-LS-3 wing panels. Strictly out of
curiosity, I once went from opening my Zuni trailer to being ready to
pre-flight in 8 timed minutes; 7 minutes reverse...no rushing/BS
allowed - just rigging - and several hours later - derigging.) Risking
offending retired Slingsby employees, I'd describe a Vega's main panels
as essentially Mosquito/Mini-Nimbus-like. Vegas and Zunis can be found
with various amounts of carbon (and Kevlar in Zunis) in them.

FWIW, my somewhat jaundiced view of why 4 of these 5 designs (LS-3
excluded) have discounted prices can in part - be attributed to their
'unconventional' pattern-drag devices. Since 2 such designs are on
*your* short list, I'm guessing you're comfortable with having to ascend
the associated learning curve (to which I add, "Good on you!").

Writing as one who transitioned from 2-33 to 1-26 to C-70 to HP-14 to
Zuni (the latter 3, no-spoiler/large-deflection-flap-only ships), place
me in the religious camp that doesn't believe only fools with a death
wish willingly fly flaps-only ships. The C-70/HP-14 purchase decisions
were cost-driven; the HP-14/Zuni purchase decisions were
flap-preference-driven. (IMHO, there's no such thing as too much
disposable drag come glider landing time! Mosquitoes, Mini-Nimbii and
Vegas have considerably more than Zuni's...and less than my former HP-14.)

Final observation - for the type of flying you described, there's not a
dime's worth of difference in performance between any of these 5 ships
that isn't *far* outweighed by the pilot's
skill/tenacity/mental-airmass-model. Handling differences will of
course be apparent & quantifiable by any competent test pilot, but
(IMHO) the 2 Big Ones (i.e. life-related) to anyone considering moving
to such ships a 1) pitch sensitivity and 2) stall behavior. Having
flown only the Zuni of the 5 ships above, I'd characterize its pitch
feel as: sensitive & numb (side stick implementation; never flown w. a
center parallelogram stick - also to be found), a combo conducive to
alarming & potentially damaging PIO's if flown w/o a decent checkout.
Not a problem otherwise. Once aloft...IMHO, the FX 67K 150/170 airfoil
is pure pussycat.

Buy what you can find/afford/fit-in...then fly every chance you get.
Get good preflight input from someone(s) experienced in type
(important), apply your own considered judgment to said advice, fly
accordingly, and have at it. You won't be sorry!

Regards,
Bob W.