Old October 23rd 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Gary Evans[_1_]

Default ASH 26E VS DG 808C

At 07:24 23 October 2006, Bumper wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
So we have heard form two ASH 26 owners. Any DG 800-808
owners want to
opine? I have heard the build quality is better on
the ASH than the
DG, how so?

This is best answered by really looking closely at
these gliders. And if
you're considering buying one, then it may be best
to take the time to do
this for yourself.

I had the opportunity to do that to a degree on the
SSA convention floor. I
listed what I thought were the pros and cons of each
ship to help me decide.
Still, I missed a bunch of stuff, like the robustness
of the 26's main gear,
and many of the smaller things that I only discovered
after really exploring
the ins and outs of my 26E after taking delivery.

Those that know me would vouch for this, I tend to
be a perfectionist when
it comes to things mechanical. I appreciate things
that have been made well
.. . . not just on the outside, but also beneath the
skin.

BTW, advantages I listed for the DG 800 series included:

Much better factory web site.
More progressive factory, at least in terms of being
willing to quickly
embrace new ideas and technology like NOAH and 'Piggott
hook'.
Lower cockpit sides for ease of exit.
Two piece wings allow shorter trailer.

bumper

A couple of DG800 advantages that bumper overlooked.

1) An engine that doesn't cost $17000 to replace.
2) An engine that can be worked on with out having
to remove it from the fuselage. While this may not
seem like something you will ever have to do you'll
want to keep a couple of big friends around for spark
plugs changes. I believe there were at least three
engines pulled for one problem or another at this years
ASA Parowan camp. They also had their own cart to haul
the engines around for repairs but I'm not sure if
thats a standard 26 option.
3) A superior engine management system (DEI) with manual
back up.

IMO the engine related issues sum up the big difference
between these two ships as performance both in glide
and under power are way similar. The 26 has a smoother
engine and the 800 has one, which is easier and cheaper
to maintain. They are both state of the art ships and
you won't be sorry for buying either.
DG has done a pretty fair comparison between the 26/800/Ventus
2cM that can be viewed here –
http://tinyurl.com/yz4shs