Old February 5th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kyle Boatright

Default GPS instead of turn and bank

"Danny Deger" wrote in message
I am thinking about buying a 1946 Taylorcraft that has NO gyros at all on
the panel. I really want at least a turn and bank so I want die if I loose
reference to the horizon for any reason. I have been told that the heading
information from a GPS is good enough to do the function of a turn and bank
and allow emergency operations without having a visual horizon reference.
Is this correct?

Danny Deger

The problem is that your GPS can't tell you how much to correct to bring the
ship back to wings level. Also, GPS refresh rates and software may not work
fast enough to give you an idea of what your turn rate is *right now*. Not
that the GPS idea couldn't work, but I don't see it as a reliable method,
which is what you want when your life is on the line.

KB