Old April 5th 04, 11:32 PM
Borislav Deianov

Rich,

Rich Stowell wrote:
(Dave Russell) wrote in message . com...
Anyway, my snap rolls suck. The break is mushy, the rotation is
sloppy, my exits are horrible. The rotation is slow enough that I
actually can 'think' while it goes around, but I haven't been able to
get any meaningful acceleration with forward stick.

I have the same problem as Dave, except I'm flying a Citabria 7KCAB
(fixed pitch, 150hp). And it's only a problem when I fly solo. I can
do a reasonable snap roll with an instructor in the back.

Here's what I suggest you try in your airplane [Super D]:

Establish level slow flight at 85 mph. Leave the power alone
thereafter. Mentally give yourself a countdown -- 3, 2, 1 -- at 1,
smoothly but briskly apply full rudder as you would for any spin
entry. When you sense that the rudder is passing though 3/4 of its
full travel, "flick" the elevator aft just far enough to induce the
stall. At 85 mph, that'll be about a 2 to 2-1/2 G tug on the stick.
You want to generate that G with as little stick movement as possible.

Here are the steps I was taught for the 7KCAB:

- 1800 RPM, slow to 65mph
- 2200 RPM and lower the nose to accelerate to 80mph
- flick the elevator and as the nose goes through the horizon, briskly
feed in the rudder
- recover with opposite rudder and slight forward stick
- recovery seems to take about 1/2 turn rolling left, 1/3 turn rolling right

This works pretty well when flying dual but I'm always getting mushy
slooowww rolls when trying it solo (if I'm able to make it go around
at all). Any hints?

Thanks,
Boris