Old August 16th 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

Default New starter in a 172 2005

"passenger 1957" wrote in message
I'd still like to know if I should push for a better starter or are
they all about the same? (I don't mind spending extra money if it will
help push off a similar problem) Where might I send the fried one to
see if it's either a 'bad unit' or to see if there's some other
problem to look into?

It all just depends on why your starter failed in the first place. If it
failed because someone is overcranking the starter, I don't know that a
better starter is going to fix your problem. I'm fond of Sky-Tec starters,
but I've had problems with those also. However my problem was related to a
starter adapter which your plane doesn't have. You may already have a
Sky-Tec as I've heard they come as standard equipment on some newer planes,
but I'm not sure if this is true or not.