Old June 12th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Woellhaf

Default Cheap Fixes. Was: Cherokee 140 Oil Temp Creeping Up

thread creep

Blanche, your story reminded me of an incident I had a couple years ago. I
flew from Jeffco, Denver (BJC) to Centennial, Denver (APA) to have a
mechanic look at something. I parked in front of his hangar and shut down.
the prop stopped vertical, so, as was my custom at the time, I cleared the
area and blipped the starter to move it. Click. Click. No prop movement. The
starter was fine at Jeffco and inoperative at Centennial. It turned out that
the lug on the high current lead at the starter motor had broken completely
free from the wire. Cheapest fix I've ever had. What are the chances of
discovering the problem while sitting right in front of the mechanic's
hangar!

Jon

/thread creep

"Blanche" wrote in message
I was seeing oil temps in the red, oil pressure ok but I still landed
immediately. Turns out the wire on the oil temp unit on top of the
engine (don't know what that is) was loose. Correct wrench to remove
the nut, washer and wire. Clean everything. Replace. Tighten correctly
(yes, an A&P was there - next door hangar). No more problem with
oil temps.

The easiest & cheapest fix I've ever had.