Old November 6th 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

Default Cheap Glide Computer

On Nov 5, 5:59*pm, RT wrote:
On Nov 5, 9:42*am, Uncle Fuzzy wrote:

I just put together a REALLY cheap system for budding LVVSA XC pilots
to use. *Here's the breakdown:
iPAQ 3870 - ebay $22.50 including shipping (I bought a 'lot' of 5)
New battery - $20.00
Bluetooth GPS from Semsons $23.60 including shippinghttp://www.semsons.com/amabg108blgp.html
XCSoar - Free
I haven't determined if I can make OLC valid files yet.

I use a homemade prayer wheel that I copied from a free program off
the web somewhere. *For the cost of laminating two pieces of paper,
one screw, a nut, and a washer I have a fail proof circular computer.
And it has a scale on the side for measuring distances on a sectional
map too.

It is as you said:

Praying you read it correct in rough conditions.
Praying you figured the winds correct.
Praying you have time to redo the calculations for that second airport
when the conditions deteriorate.
Praying you estimated you position correctly.

Sorry the days of praying have been gone for 40 years.