Old August 22nd 15, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BobW

Default FLARM in Stealth Mode at US 15M/Standard Nationals - Loved It!

On 8/21/2015 3:27 PM, kirk.stant wrote:
On Friday, August 21, 2015 at 2:57:12 PM UTC-5,
wrote:

From the information I'm seeing, Flarm in a reduced capability
mode(competition mode or such)will almost certainly be in effect at the
WGC level. I'm curious as to how you will feel when your 2 friends team
fly using the capabilities of Flarm to keep track of each other,
including climb rates, without needing to talk on the radio. I, for one,
will be seriously not happy. How about weather radar? How about near real
time display of all competitors position, track, altitude, and climb
rate? How about the crew sending tactical info to the pilot? The question
becomes how far do we open the door and what are the likely affects on
our sport? UH

I think it would be fun! The more info the better, and the person/team that
uses it the best, and flies the best, will still win.

All sports change to absorb new technology - look at the America's cup or
Formula 1!

By way of Devil's advocacy...when I look at America's Cup and Formula 1, I see
two of the most expensive sports in the world; both have been that way for
"quite some time now." Arguably, each has *always* been at the pinnacles of
their respective sports' costs. You might even argue that both today are
examples of "If you build it, they will come," sorts of sports in audience
terms. How exactly might we make that work in soaring?

FWIW, in both sports, there's far more participation in headcount terms in the
lesser expensive spectra...

Bob W.