Old October 4th 20, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell

Default Best Overall Motorglider available today?

Obviously it wasn't trivial, but look at what they did with the '25.
Sold as a straight glider, a sustainer with a Solo engine, and a
self-launch with a carbureted Wankel, an injected Wankel, and a twin
jet. So much re-engineering went into that ship, but not the '26.

On 10/3/20 9:59 AM, jfitch wrote:
Dave, there was no good reason to do it. The E engine was running fine, had 45 hours on it, and it still running today in another glider. A number of 26E owners over the years have expressed interest in this conversion. We had the engine and were curious about AS claim that this was not a trivial endeavor. Also, I was going to need to replace the Technoflug prop at some point, and the Mi engine already had that prop. It turned into a bit more work than we (Rex and I) had imagined - perhaps AS was right - but the result is a nice upgrade. The alternative way to get an Mi engine is to spend the $1/4M dollar bill for a 31.

On Friday, October 2, 2020 at 5:41:57 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, October 2, 2020 at 12:46:57 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
While the Mi engine is better, the E engine is certainly adequate

Thanks Jfitch for showing us your beautiful 26mi at the convention.
Can you remind us why you decided to do the conversion from original engine?

Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave