Old December 24th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval
John Carrier

Default "F-35 Test Flight Deemed a Success"

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
On 23 Dec 2006 09:24:11 -0800, wrote:

We've got no disagreement about putting a gun in every fighter that
has any possibility of being engaged air-to-air.

Ed Rasimus

Cheap, reliable, last ditch weapon...a must in almost every military
tactical A/C..maybe even the V-22

ROTFLMAO. The real question would be which way to point it on
installation.

We used to rag our A-7 buddies that they needed to install the AIM-9
pointing rearward to be most effective.

Ditto on the gun.

My old boat school roommate was passing through yesterday enroute to
Christmas with his mom in FL. He's a project engineer at Fort Worth for
F-35C. Slow (despite 40K thrust), weight issues, maintenance/logistics
issues (the engine is so big it won't fit into the ship's jet shop!?, is too
big to fly a spare aboard?!?). OTOH, the cockpit is PERFECT for the
Nintendo-savvy next generation aviator.

R / John