Old January 22nd 19, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default flarm mouse or powerflarm

Hi Matt,

besides the slight difference in price (PowerMouse being ~100€ cheaper in the basic version), the only difference of significance seems to be the source for FLARM updates. Any PowerFlarm-updates from flarm.org website will work in the PowerFlarm. But for the LX device, you will need to download the updates from LX. So there might be a slightly longer update cycle for these devices. In terms of hardware enhancements, both devices seem to have the same capabilities.

If you need a device that works globally, you may want to take a look at the Air traffic unit from Air avionics. It's significantly more expensive, though.

Glider climb rates can also be visualized using older Flarm devices as data source. It's rather a question of the display in use then the Flarm.

Regarding reliability, I have no experience with PowerMouse. But we are operating a couple of PowerFlarm units since a few years without any troubles.

Best,
Christoph