Old February 21st 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Proposal: The Steve Fossett Airmans Search Project

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008 15:59:10 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
wrote in idhvj.43753$yE1.27867@attbi_s21:

The Steve Fossett Airmans Search Project

After one of the largest domestic searches in American history came up
empty, what makes you think a bunch of us guys in spam cans can do better?

Would you question the premise that more searchers at lower level
would be more likely to spot the downed aircraft?

Have you ever witnessed bureaucratic obstacles hindering success?

Not that it's not a laudable goal -- I just question the premise. That is a
huge, unpopulated, relatively inhospitable area to search...

It is a largely unvegetated expanse of open desert, so there is less
to obscure the aircraft.

With my people skills, I am obviously not well suited to head this
effort, but someone with your charisma might spark some interest in
it. Publicize it a bit, and see what sort of response it receives. I
dare ya. :-)

And, of course, there is always the remote possibility that he doesn't WANT
to be found...

That thought has probably crossed a few minds, but what motivation
would there be? He wouldn't have access to his bank account, a legal
Passport nor an airmans certificate, his activities would necessarily
be considerably more restricted. Not likely.