Old June 18th 05, 12:40 AM
Jay Honeck

WE designated channel 3 with no tone coding, but we may revise that this
year in light of the idiot children to whom a radio is something to scream
into to see how many adults they can piff off.

That's been our experience on ALL FRS channels at OSH, Jim. Those radios
have become ubiquitous, and there are just too many people on the grounds to
use them reliably.

Alternatively, however -- and you understand that I would never recommend
this, of course -- but a far more reliable form of communication at Oshkosh
(and one that is guaranteed to be used only by pilots) would be to designate
a totally off-the-wall frequency on your aviation hand-held radio. Say,
122.575, or something similar.

I certainly have no personal knowledge of such things, but I've heard that
these radios offer a 100% reliable form of communication at OSH, with
excellent range to boot.

;-)
--
Jay Honeck