Old July 6th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Landings Carthage, Jackson and Madison MS - Video

On Jul 5, 6:47*pm, More_Flaps wrote:

At least one turn onto final was a bit steep. I was taugh that circuit
turns should be no more than 30 degrees. *

Assuming the last landing at KMBO you are talking about, yeah, I think
you are right, I kinda overshot final and the turn was a bit over 30
degree bank. In the video, I figure if the horizon hits the upper
corner it would be a 45 degree bank?

Your last short field looked

a bit fast -hence the float? I've not flown a sundowder but your nose
never seems to get above the end of the runway -is that because the
trim with flaps down is very level?

Couple of thoughts. First the camera is wedge on the glareshield as
close as to the windscreen I can get it. I have a binder that I put
behind the camera so it doesn't shift. The camera tilts slightly down
due to the slope of the glareshield which makes me think this is the
reason why the nose never gets above the end of the runway. Clearly
in some of the videos, you hear the mains touch and then the nose.

Regarding the speed, two thoughts as I really thought I held final
approach right at 55 knots. One thought is that the narrow runway I
think makes it feel like you are coming in faster. Second, even
though I was doing 55 knots, with the near 90F temps, density altitude
was 2000 which I believe would make my ground speed faster????

The Sundowner, when you deploy flaps, pitches the nose down, so to
conteract that, I trim pretty aggressive so my airspeed doesn't
build. Big ole stabilator on the tail feather does wonder!