Old November 4th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
MikeMl

Default GPSMAP 396 won't acquire sats

Mike Spera wrote:
Out of warranty (naturally) 396 has started acting flaky. It sits there
with the incorrect time and date and will not acquire satellites and
start up. Tried different antennas. Sometimes it will acquire after
30-40 minutes. Garmin's support database is useless. Are there any known
problems with this unit or is it time to get fleeced by their service arm?

Thanks,
Mike

Try it out of the aircraft, running on internal batteries, and the
monopole antenna. In my installation, I can create your symptoms just by
tuning my Narco Mark 12D Nav receiver to 115.5Mhz. The 13th harmonic of
the Nav receiver local oscillator blocks sat reception.