Old March 12th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

Default Cubcrafters vs. Legend Cub

On Mar 12, 2:59 pm, Don Tuite
wrote:
On 12 Mar 2007 13:37:49 -0700, "Robert M. Gary"
wrote:

On Mar 12, 12:23 pm, john smith wrote:

The Cub will fly hands off, you just have to use your feet.

hehe. Am I the only one who wasn't able to fly the J-3 with tennis
shoes? I always had to wear slippers because the sold sole of the
tennis shoe didn't allow the bottom of my foot to get under the rudder
to the brake. I always kept a pair of tennis shoes in the back. The
thought of walking out of a farmer's field after an emergency landing
wearing slippers was always with me.

???!!! I've only flown the Luscombe and the T-Cart*, where the heel
brakes were aft and slightly inboard of the rudder pedals. Are the
Cub's heel brakes forward of the pedals?

Don
*Come to think of it, there were a few hours of Aerknocker in there,
too. Same kind of brake rig.

I never had any issue in the Aeronca. The Cub's brakes are slightly
forward of the rudder itself. I think people with smaller feet are
able to get to the brakes with less effort than I can with my size
13s.
The other fun thing in the Cub is that if you don't like to work the
rudders with the peddles you can just grab the cables that run right
past you. It really shows where the saying "flying in a kite" came
from.

-Robert