Old October 9th 03, 07:06 PM
Bernie the Bunion

Jim Weir wrote:

My pleasure. I'd do it again tomorrow in a heartbeat.

Well Jim..... I'm sure it was quite the experience for you to
go through something like that, and I'm sure there are
a few people here who would be interested in your comments
as to what it was like.

I know all the ballots might not be counted, but out of
curiousity how many votes did you get.

Are you considering running for one of the state offices
in the next election.

LAST NITE...... On one of the talk shows a young man in his late
teens was being interviewed. He had run for some civic office
(mayor perhaps) and won the election ( I do believe ).

When asked how HE DID IT.... His response was that he
went door to door.

If you declared yourself as an candidate for a certain office in
the next election and spent some time working the phones,
doors, streets, etc., and kept in touch with your media contacts
that you have made, you just might be surprised at how often
you are contacted by the media on slow news days.

Locally, you have the advantage of having your feet wet,
coupled with some first hand knowledge of how the system works.

Don't be afraid to capitalize on that experience.

Up here in Canada I have had the interesting experience of being
a campaign manager on four federal elections over the years and
I can't stress the importance of declaring yourself early and
getting out and knocking on doors.

You don't need a platform, just be in a listening mode, asking your
future constituents what's on their minds.

Show serious interest now and you might be surprised at how many people
will remember you favourably as the person at their doors years, and
months before the election was called.

In any event, for you it was the exerience of a lifetime, something to
brag to the grandkids about.

But if you do want to get elected locally the best advice I could ever
give you is to buy a comfortable pair of walking shoes, go door to
door,
make media contacts and stay in touch with them.

I do believe that when Hillary Clinton was elected her first comments
were to remark on how many pantsuits and shoes she had worn out.

Nobody gave her a chance when she started the race and look where
she is today.