View Single Post
Old May 12th 20, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default From DrDan Johnson -- a clear essay on how Covid-19 is spread

I was interested to see that the potential infection rate while outside in a fairly breezy environment is substantially reduced. The effects of heat, humidity and Ultraviolet light (i.e. sunshine) are not very well defined, but I suspect that this virus is possibly vulnerable to those influences, just as other more well-known viral contagions.

Are there any data to suggest that the viability of COVID-19 is reduced on surfaces exposed to temperatures above (say) 80 degrees F? How about on surfaces in bright sunlight? These are the conditions we experience regularly during what limited social gathering we do during ground handling gliders, hooking up the tow line and wing running.

Could an argument be made that soaring is a conditionally permissible activity? Instruction and two-seat glider occupancy will most certainly require more stringent efforts to reduce viral spread, but a single-seat glider used exclusively by its owner should meet the most extreme standards for "social distancing."

And the tow pilot is probably the safest dude out there. A noisy, stinky cockpit surely discourages all viruses. And 200 feet of rope provides a reasonable barrier from their personal hygiene, such as it is.

JUST KIDDING! I love my tow pilots. But after 1,200 ft. AGL, my appreciation wanes rapidly.