Old December 2nd 05, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default US ELT Installation

Hi,

This is great news! If I understand correctly, ELTs will only be required
if the contest organizers require them. Although I sell ELTs, I was against
making them mandatory at all contests because I feared that it would keep
many potential new contest pilots from competing due to the high cost.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

wrote in message
oups.com...
SSA Contest Rules Subcommittee reviewed the action proposed last year
and has revised proposed action for 2006 and forward. Text of rule
that will be proposed to the SSA BOD is as follows:
ELTs

No longer does an ELT have to be TSOed.

6.5.2 When announced by contest organizers prior to the Preferential
Entry Deadline, an impact-activated Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT)
is required in every sailplane.

This will permit organizers that see fit to require ELT's but not make
them mandatory across the board.
The minutes of the Fall RC meeting and Draft Rules will be published
for review in the next week or so.
H Nixon
UH
SSA Contest Rules Subcommittee chair