Old December 2nd 05, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default US ELT Installation

Hi Hank,

Thanks for the feedback.

Your reply was illuminating but still leaves many questions unanswered.

While having the option to mandate ELTs sounds promising, what contest
organizer will not require ELTs knowing that the option exists as part
of the rules. By making this part of the rules, the situation exists
that each contest organizer will require them to mitigate potential
liability. If another tragedy does occur, the contest organizer that
did not require ELTs will surely be sued. Hence, who will not require
them to preclude or limit liability issues?

So, if we assume that ELTs will be required by all contest managers,
the potential competitor is still faced with installation issues,
arising primarily form antenna location and effectiveness; and the
contest manager is still faced with assurance issues that each
installation meets the intent of the rules and operates as required.

The bottom line is that we now have a rule that presents problems for
both the contest pilot (how do I install an operable system?) and the
contest organizer (it would be foolish not to mandate ELT usage for
liability protection but how do I know that the systems actually work?)

While the intent and spirit of the rule is admirable, it seems that the
implementation of this rule has not been well thought through.

As usual, all feedback and discussion appreciated.

mhr