Old September 13th 08, 02:05 PM posted to aus.aviation,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.military
Atheist Chaplain[_2_]

Default Pilot makes first NVG Antarctic landing

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in message
On Sep 13, 3:33 am, "Atheist Chaplain" wrote:
"TacAN" wrote in message
"Spartan613" wrote in message
"TacAN" wrote in message

"Ned" wrote in ...
From CNN - A U.S. Air Force pilot has landed a plane in Antarctica
in
the dark for the first time using night-vision goggles, a feat that
could lead to more supply flights to scientific bases in the frozen
continent during its dark winter months, officials said Friday.

The C-17 Globemaster cargo airplane landed in a driving snowstorm on
the 10-kilometer (six mile) ice runway at the U.S. Antarctic
research
center at McMurdo Station, after months of practice runs by pilots
using the goggles.

Can NVG's see through a driving snow storm?

Graham

Good question. And with the aircraft's landing lights on, the amount
of
reflected light from the snow-flakes would normally overwhelm the
goggles. I know from personal experience that NVGs aren't that great
when
using them in heavy rain and active illumination.

Which was pretty much what I was thinking.

Graham

--
"Those who beat their swords into ploughshares will plough for those
who

High intensity IR LED's in the landing lights would do the job quite well
without having to worry about the reflected active illumination from the
main landing lights, in conjunction with IR reflectors (as used on the
back
of most military vehicles in night time full tactical situations) would
finish the job,

"Hell I have been doing some experiments with IR stuff for
the last couple of months, and it would seem pretty trivial"

http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/89009.html

MILspec goes to -40. I had a freezer to test electronics
that went lower, wires shatter, metal brittles. You'll need
to extend your specs to -120F.
Ken

your also assuming that the de-icing on the AC is turned off ??

--
God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?