Old December 12th 09, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

Default Elephant landing

On Dec 12, 2:37*pm, george wrote:
On Dec 13, 5:41*am, Mark wrote:

On Dec 12, 9:03*am, a wrote:

On Dec 11, 8:46*pm, Mike Ash wrote:

In article
,

*Mark wrote:
This is one of the smoothest elephant landings
I've ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm8FJ8la2VU

Certainly the smoothest one I've ever seen. Also the least smooth I've
ever seen.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

Did you notice the asymmetrical flap deployment?

The asymmetry you observed is necessary with elephant flights,
as they use their heated pitot trunks in a cantilevered fashion
increasing parasitic drag, creating inevitable adverse yaw.
Fortunately the elephant didn't choose to go around, and
kick in his rear thruster.

Did he activate the used fuel dump before roundout?

No, and when he taxied (trotted? jogged?) to the terminal he was not
on the taxiway centerline either. I guess it's not as important when
the wingspan is as short as his was. There's another moral to the
story -- baggage is never left behind, he had his trunk ... oh, never
mind.

This reminds me of the old physics problem -- "assume a spherical
cow. . ."