Old March 21st 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.misc

Default KLN94 updates with Sandisk writer - unit-specific?

This is a real interesting thread. Excuse me for jumping in late. I have
a KLN89/B and do the internet downloads. I have a yearly subscription.
The 89/B cannot be programmed like the 94. I have checked with Honeywell
B-K. I really thought the database key was imbedded in the OS software
in the GPS. Since I have to take a laptop to the plane each time, I
never remove the datacard or change it. I just hook a cable from the
laptop RS-232 port to the funky connector that B-K uses in the
installation manual. I have never had the database key change on me. And
the other poster is correct. If for some reason you want to download the
current existing database that you already downloaded be sure to make
the correct selection. It takes about 10 minutes to upload the DB to the
89/B. I have never had a problem in the 7 years I have been doing this.
I turn off everything I can. The only thing that runs is the 89/B,
enunciator, and the T&B indicator. I just wish in the 89/B that I could
pull the card and program only it at home.

Ross

Peter wrote:

Peter wrote

The curious thing is that when Honeywell "reset" my download account
yesterday, they restored it back to 12 downloads left. I have one new
download in my card, which makes this correct (I should have 12 left).
However this means that the original DL I did (prior to the random key
change) must have reduced my DL count by 1, which is clearly wrong. I
bet they get a lot of this...

Let me be more precise about this...

Let's say you have a card with a key of XXXXXXXX

You DL a database under key XXXXXXXX

Upon completion of the card update, the loader program, as part of its
random key changing routine, says it is changing the key to YYYYYYYY
and that you should use YYYYYYYY from now on.

If you now (same day) DL another database file under YYYYYYYY, you
still have only *one* database, in that one and the same card, but
your DL count has gone down by TWO downloads.

This is what I did... not realising that YYYYYYYY is not to be used
until the next database cycle.