Old February 27th 07, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Maxwell

Default Welding 4130...

"Morgans" wrote in message

Dan_ wrote
Been cutting steel on a couple of tablesaws for a long time
now. No bearing hassles. If the bearings were really old and the seals
were gone, it sure would be a problem.

I third your no problems.

I have an Old Milwaukee circular saw that I have been using since 1982,
and a good part of that was 5 days a week professional carpentry. It has
also cut way too many feet of steel to count, up to 3/8" thick.

It has never had the bearings touched, or even regreased.

I'm not sure how much of this is a testament for the saw's manufacturer,
or that cutting steel will not hurt bearings.
--
Jim in NC

I have had a bearing problems with my Skil Saw. Not the motor, but the guard
bearing is very rough from cutting metal siding.

While *most* sealed bearings found on motors or jackshafts *shouldn't* have
a problem. A number of guards and guides found on woodworking equipent were
not designed with metal grindings in mind, and they can indeed cause a
problem.

Also, most quality friction saws designed for steel include TEFC, totally
enclosed fan cooled motors. While circular saws and most table saws do not.
And unlike wood dust, the build up of metallic duct inside these motors can
easily cause dangerous and catistrophic failures. Read *fireworks* and
shocking experiences. Especially in the quality metal framed tools like the
older Skil and Milwaukee brands. So your mileage may certainly vary.

The only problems I have personally experienced with Old Milwaukee brand
products were different levels of morning sickness.