Old December 27th 07, 05:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default engine pre-oiler

"Stuart & Kathryn Fields" wrote in message
I'm thinking about using an electric diesel fuel pump to pressurize my
0320 with engine oil to pre-lube before starting. Have any of you tried
that? The accumulator method is heavier than I want to use.

I'm thinking (never a good thing, eh?) that your objective is to prolong the
life of the engine?

Rather than a pre-oiler, what about grabbing the smog pump off that '78
Chevy you have up on blocks and putting it on your engine with the pump
outlet plumbed into the crankcase some distance away from the existing
breather? (Inlet goes to the clean air side of the air cleaner Note: IIRC
some air pumps have an inlet you can attach a hose to, some don't.)

Keeping the crankcase clean and dry would likely do more good than
pre-oiling...

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com