Old June 8th 17, 12:38 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

At least discuss your proposal with Steve. There may be history with the FAA on this issue.

Frank Whiteley[/quote]

Frank, the following Email was sent to the email address you provided for Steve Northcraft.

Mr Northcraft,

In case you haven't heard about my letter to the FAA, to save the both of us time I would ask that you go to AviationBanter or RecAviation Soaring and read my comments under "Letter to the FAA" and perhaps "Tow Plane Upsets" which will give you some insight into my intentions.

To make a long story short I experienced two very sudden kiting incidents within one weeks time. One at 2000 feet and one starting at about 350 feet. In both cases I made an attempt to release the glider and in both cases I found the release virtually frozen. In the incident that happened at 350 feet, had the rope not broken or had it broken a second or so later you would have been reading about my death. I was flying a Piper Pawnee with a Schweizer hook and a release handle located down on and parallel to the floor.

The post "Tow Plane Upsets" was meant to explain what happened to me and to hear from other tow pilots of their experiences. I had heard about the difficulty releasing a glider with the Schweizer hook as have most tow pilots, to have experienced it drives home the reality of the situation. I was made aware of at least two deaths in the USA as a result of a failure of the Schweizer release. I understand one of these deaths resulted in the STC for the Inverted Schweizer hook. These mechanisms are meant to allow the tow pilot to release the glider when it becomes critically necessary. I can tell you that at that moment it didn't work for me.

I found it telling that many other tow pilots say they will NOT tow with anything but a Tost hook. I learned that a Canadian glider pilot/tow pilot well known to me noted that 30 years ago their club went to the Tost hook and a release handle up near the throttle as a result of a low kiting accident. In addition, the British Gliding Association has mandated the release be up near the throttle and I am told that the Schweizer hook is virtually non existent in their system. The BGA obvioiusly stepped forward and corrected the situation. Where is the SSA/SFF in this regard?

What I find astounding is that this has been known for quite some time. In both FAA Advisory Circular, Date 3/3/08, AC no 43.13-2B, page 76 and in Soaring Safety Foundation, Tow Pilot Training, page 9 (in red no less) it is clearly stated that when the glider under tow operates above a certain angle to the tow plane, the ring may slide upwards on the hook causing excessive load on the hook and difficulty in releasing the tow rope ring.

In addition to the failure of the Schweizer hook to open, I question the sanity of putting a release handle down on and "parallel" to the floor of the Pawnee requiring an olympic level of calesthenics to reach and actuate. While this may have been approved by the FAA, this poor design was easily a factor in my inability to release the glider in both cases. On page 78 of the above mentioned FAA Advisory Circular there is a drawing, Figure 8-3. Typical Tow Hitch Release Handle showing a handle extending more vertically, perhaps 30 degrees from fully vertical. I have seen such a handle installation on other Pawnees with a handle long enough so as to be immediately available to the pilot. It would make sense that this should be the standard for handle design and installation.

I am a reasonable person. It is NOT my intention to do anything to inhibit the gliding, soaring community. It is my intention to save a life so I am communicating with you as per the request of Frank Whiteley. Is there a history with the FAA regarding this issue? I realize that if I approach the FAA that an over reaction might happen. I would be willing to put this ball in your court to see if a reasonable accomodation could be made.

Please Advise.

Respectfully

Walt Connelly