Old November 18th 04, 03:45 AM
BTIZ

Look at the POH and determine what the take off distance is over a 50ft
obstacle, normal take off (no flaps) Then compute the landing distance over
a 50ft obstacle. This will give you a very conservative Accelerate / Stop
distance estimate. If the runway in use is shorter than that, then you may
not be able to accelerate to rotation speed, chop the throttle and safely
stop. I would use the short field take off procedure.

If the POH does not list take off data for 1 notch of flaps, and states to
use 2 notches for a short field. Then I would use 2 notches and not pay
attention to the instructor that says to use only one notch.

With no data in the POH for a "modified short field technique", then you are
a test pilot and only can reasonably estimate that the required distance to
clear the 50ft obstacle is somewhere between the no flap (normal) departure
and the prescribes short field (2 notch) departure.

I can read the NTSB report now, pilot attempting take off from a short field
did not follow the prescribed takeoff procedure and failed to outclimb the
obstacle on departure. Causal factor: Pilot error.

jmho
BT

"Roy Page" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have been trying to determine the length of a runway that would be
considered a "short field" for my Archer II.
The two instructors that I work with on occasions disagree on the amount
of flaps to use for takeoff at gross weight.
One guy says my airfield with a 2,800ft runway is a "short field" and I
should use 25deg flaps as per the POH for takeoff at gross weight.
The other says 2,800ft is not a short field and I should use 10 deg flap
at gross weight and that 25 deg increases drag too much.
It does not help that the instructors have a low opinion of each other.
The POH is clear about using 25 deg for a short field but I have failed to
find what runway length puts in a short field category.
These guys also instruct in a PA28-140 based here and you can guess that
some students are using 1 notch of flap, while the other set use 2
notches.

So the question is.
How long is a "short field" for a PA28-181 ? And for that matter how does
that relate to a PA28-140 with 30 less horses.

--
Roy
N5804F - PA28-181