Old September 27th 12, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

Default LiFePO4 batteries

On Sep 27, 10:53*am, wrote:
On Thursday, September 27, 2012 8:09:54 AM UTC-4, T wrote:
Are these batteries safer than the LiPo used in RC aircraft? There have been bad fires when charging LiPO and fireproof containers are recommended..

All that was hashed out on the previous discussion. *These are different from
Lithium Phosphate and don't suffer the fire problems. *I got one from K2 Energy
this year and love the lighter weight, higher voltage, and higher capacity.
I did get their charger also just to be sure.

-- Matt

The RC model battery / fire starters are lithium polymer (LiPO). The
tenergy and K2 SLA replacement batteries are lithium iron phosphate
(LiFePO4). I saw a lot of the K2 batteries at my last contest, heard
only praise. I'm thinking of switching to the LiFePO4 batteries but
I'm in need of evidence that they'll work at typical glider discharge
rates (2A during TX, about 1A otherwise) when really cold (say -30
C). Any of you Sierra Wave guys using these?