Old June 6th 19, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Default Starting them young into soaring !!!

Op woensdag 5 juni 2019 18:22:57 UTC+2 schreef Glider Pilot:
Last Sunday I did a few commercial glider rides for FBO at Mt. Valley Airport in Tehachapi California. One of the rides was the 10 year old daughter of Bryan Suits. Bryan Suits is an American war veteran of three military conflicts in Kuwait, Bosnia, and Iraq. And has been a talk radio host for more than 10 years. My sons and I have been listing to his show 'Dark Secret Place' on KFI AM-640 (Los Angeles) from 10 pm to midnight on Saturday's for a long time now. Bryan placed a video recorder in the glider while I gave his daughter a ride. I let her fly the glider. She learned quickly and will be taking formal glider pilot instructions when she is 13 years old. Here is a 4 minute edited down version of our flight that her father produced.

YouTube video:
https://youtu.be/gY4Dfd39fPo

Dark Secret Place radio show:
https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-d...lace-28067787/

Enjoy,
Oscar

I started at 19, being color blind I always got told I wouldn't ever be able to fly, so I never got any info from clubs. At 19 I wanted to fly as a passenger once and got told being color blind is no problem to fly, you could only fly SR -30 minutes and SS +30 minutes, so I started straight away.

Nowadays, whenever I take passengers, in particular young passengers with me, I tell them it is a very accessible sport. One kid joined our club at 11, he was very good very fast. At 14 he got his medical certificate and flew solo straight away. A couple others joined him at 13-14 years old. They really enjoy it and it's a unique sport, dragging in other friends. Our club is one of the largest in Belgium and our national flight scores (onlineconstest/local website scoring) is always the highest

Senna, D-1339