Old September 13th 03, 06:08 PM
Jay Honeck

Next year, I am thinking of offering a class to the unenlightened on how
to stake one's tent so it doesn't blow away during the Oshkosh monsoon
season.

Funny, I thought I could actually teach that class, after so many years of
camping -- but this year proved me wrong.

Two of our plastic stakes were actually sheared off even with the ground,
and the 1 inch aluminum poles were bent like pipe cleaners. Part of the
problem was that our old tent was a very "vertical" design, which made it
great for interior space, and horrible for wind resistance.

Our new one is much more aerodynamic, and has double the floor space -- but
it's not nearly as nice inside for standing room.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA