Old December 17th 04, 09:37 PM
Mike Adams

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

Then you're just going to have to live with it. The letter O is not
used in identifiers to avoid confusion with zero. Are the aircraft
the same type?

This reminds me of an interesting radio exchange I heard at DVT a few weeks ago. There was an
airplane departing with a zero in its call sign, I can't remember, but let's say N1023A. The pilot, called
himself "one-oh-two-three-alpha". The controller never corrected him on this and never offered him a
shortened call sign, but instead responded to him as "november one oscar two three alpha". The pilot
didn't catch on for the longest time, continuing to read this back as "one oh two three alpha". The
controller continued to give him extra traffic callouts and instructions, still with the full "oscar" ident, until
finally the pilot woke up and realized the situation and said, "and tower, that's one zero two three alpha",
to which the controller just said "thank you" and that was the end of it. The games people play....

Mike