Old July 29th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Filing IFR flight Plan in VMC

On Jul 28, 4:17*pm, B A R R Y wrote:

You're still VFR while flying IFR practice approaches. *No separation or
terrain warning is provided.

Usually they will provide seperation. We have one airport that, even
when VFR, the controller will say "no separation services provide,
cleared for the ILS runway..."

My local guys usually say "Cleared for the ILS XX practice approach,
remain VFR".

Which is odd because you are always VFR unless he issues you a
claranace. I understand the meaning but its not technically correct.

Real requests for approach usually include the "Are you rated and
equipped?" query if you're not arriving on an IFR plan.

I've never, ever been asked that in the US. Its customary in Mexico to
ask that when picking up an IFR clearance (not sure what they would do
if I said no )

-Robert