Old September 22nd 04, 07:18 PM
Richard Russell

On 22 Sep 2004 07:56:40 -0700, (gwengler) wrote:

or the pilot simply
followed the instructions to use the BSR in the event of a spin.

Actually, the instructions are to try conventional recovery

techniques
and THEN deploy the chute if they don't work. I wonder if that was
done. Also, I'd be very interested to know more about the involvement
of autopilot operations in this one.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Quite to the contrary! The direct quote from the SR22 POH is "Do not
waste time and altitude trying to recover from a spiral/spin before
activating CAPS."; and:
"In all cases, if the aircraft enters an unusual attitude from which
recovery is not expected before ground impact, immediate deployment of
the CAPS is required."; and:
"Inadvertent Spin Entry
1. CAPS .............................................. Activate"

The complete Spin Chapter from the SR22 POH is quoted below.

You should not make unsupported statements that actually could - if
followed - endanger the lives of pilots and passengers by not
following proper emergency procedures.

Gerd
ATP

"Spins
The SR22 is not approved for spins, and has not been tested or
certified for spin recovery characteristics. The only approved and
demonstrated method of spin recovery is activation of the Cirrus
Airframe Parachute System (See CAPS Deployment, this section).
Because of this, if the aircraft "departs controlled flight," the CAPS
must be deployed.
While the stall characteristics of the SR22 make accidental entry into
spin extremely unlikely, it is possible. Spin entry can be avoided by
using good airmanship: coordinated use of controls in turns, proper
airspeed control following the recommendations of this Handbook, and
never abusing the flight controls with accelerated inputs when close
the stall (see Stalls, Section 4).
If, at the stall, the controls are misapplied and abused accelerated
inputs are made to the elevator, rudder and/or ailerons, an abrupt
wing
drop may be felt and a spiral or spin may be entered. In some cases it
may be difficult to determine if the aircraft has entered a spiral or
the
beginning of a spin.
• WARNING •
In all cases, if the aircraft enters an unusual attitude from
which recovery is not expected before ground impact,
immediate deployment of the CAPS is required.
The minimum demonstrated altitude loss for a CAPS
deployment from a one-turn spin is 920 feet. Activation at
higher altitudes provides enhanced safety margins for
parachute recoveries. Do not waste time and altitude trying to
recover from a spiral/spin before activating CAPS.
Inadvertent Spin Entry
1. CAPS .................................................. ...............................
Activate
Revision A1"

I don't have an opinion either way on this issue because I don't have
any personal knowledge (I know, that's no excuse on Usenet). I will
say this, however. The language in the manual would not by itself
convince me that a conventional spin recovery was impossible. The
fact that the manual requires the immediately deployment of the
parachute is a reflection of the fact that Cirrus did not go through
the spin recovery certification process and therefore cannot recommend
a conventional spin recovery technique. As far as I'm concerned the
language in the manual is what it is for legal reasons and does not
definitively support either side of the issue regarding the
possibility of recovery.

Rich "glad I don't have to make the pull-no pull decision" Russell