Old December 23rd 03, 05:49 PM
John Bell

Bad idea. Probably 90% of the time it is O.K., but the other 10% is reason
not to.

I have had many times when controllers have purposefully vectored me through
the localizer and then back on from the other side due to spacing on
traffic. You mentioned that this was happening when the freq was busy.
This is probably also the time when spacing on other traffic could be a
factor.

John Bell
www.cockpitgps.com

"Doug" wrote in message
om...
Several times, while under IFR flight plan and radar services, I have
been vectored to intercept the localizer and the controller was late
in turning me into the localizer. This usually happens when I need
about a 90 degree turn to the localizer. I have decided not to wait
for his vector and just turn. This has always been when the freq is
busy. There is a very small time window to turn (about 15 seconds), so
if the freq is busy, I can't request a turn before I am past, so now,
if this happens, I just turn. I told a CFII this and he said, ok, but
its not really the legal thing to do. I believe it is the safe thing
to do, and therefore legal. Any opinions from the group?