Old January 11th 04, 12:25 PM
Ian

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
"Ian" wrote:

While the signature of the Eurofighter isn't as low as that of the
much fabled F-22 (do I add the /A as well?), it is considerably lower
than any in service aircraft (and many of the planned ones as well).

You *are* excluding the F-117 from that comment, right? The
Eurofighter, while using some RCS reduction tech, is nothing like a true
stealthy airframe, and isn't stealthy at all when carrying weapons from
many angles. Basically, they took it from "barn door" to "manhole
cover" in RCS.

Sorry - yeah I was excluding the F-117 and B-2.

Eurofighter's original concept was to be stealthy, i'll agree to that.
However, given the four (originally more) partner nations requirements, it
was never going to work. Thats when they went for the "stealthier" option.
The concept of operations would seem to be scoot to within range of the
weapon and then bug out. The cruise missiles they'll carry (Storm Shadow
and Taurus) have ranges that allow them to do this. AMRAAM (and hopefully
Meteor when it is finsihed) will allow this in AA.

I know its dangerous to say this, but when do we next envisage a war with
Air to Air? GWII didn't have it, and had next to no 'real' SAM activity (if
you discount the patriot attacks on the RAF and USN(F-18?)). GWI had a bit
more, but that was more due to the missions the RAF undertook with JP233 and
low level bombing (the standard tactic developed for 'cold war attacks using
Tornado and predecessors). The last true air to air I can think of, would
be the Falklands, when the AIM-9L (I think?) was given its operational debut
(and what a debut)

I don't doubt if the 4 partner countries had the money, they would develop
an F-22 level stealth aircraft. I know they're working on some very
interesting concepts for future aircraft that will be at that level if not
better.

(PS - I've recently seen a concept drawing of an F-22 with external stores,
and not just fuel tanks. Won't that really harm the RCS etc, or have they
developed stealthy weapons and pylons? Or was it just some bored aviation
artist?)
cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.