Old July 23rd 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Bob Gardner

Default Temporarily removing fuel and replacing it into the same aircraft

Pilots frequently say "I can't find it in the regulations" after limiting
their search to Parts 1, 61, 67, 91, and (occasionally) 119/135. An FAA ops
inspector at HQ once gave me a list of all of the agencies whose regulations
impact pilots. I no longer have the list, but as I recall there were about
20. We know about the NTSB Part 830 accident/incident regs because they are
on the knowledge exams, and we know that there are National Park Service,
Bureau of Land Management, and Interior Department regs affecting both
airspace and landing areas because they show up on sectionals and things
like the Grand Canyon SFAR. What I am leading up to is a guess that the
Environmental Protection Agency may very well have a reg that speaks to the
operation you propose. The airport management and/or the governmental entity
operating the airport might have local regulations on the subject.

Bottom line is that you can't just look to the FARs when contemplating an
action.

Bob Gardner

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
. net...
Does anyone know of a FAR that prohibits removing fuel, avgas in this
case, and then putting it back into the same plane? The plane is flown
for part 91 service only.

Examples:

1.) The plane is 50 pounds overweight for conditions. 10 gallons is
siphoned out into a clean, single-purpose, approved for gasoline
container. The sealed container is stored in a safe place. 2-3 hours
later, upon completing the trip and returning to the field, I pour it back
into the tank.

2.) I want to calibrate a fuel dipstick, so I remove a gallon at a time
while taking readings. After I read the tank, I return the fuel to the
tank.

I've been told this is a violation. The person who tells me this can't
cite a FAR, and I can't find one in my own search.