Old April 26th 05, 05:19 PM
Dale

In article 4eqbe.16614$c24.11911@attbi_s72,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

I was especially saddened to see that the man who was killed had his legs
severed by the prop of a Turbo Otter -- the very twins they use as
jump-planes in Deland. Some of you may recall my post about how those
Otters were "diving into the base leg of the pattern" as we were landing,
which we found to be very disconcerting.

The jumper was struck by the wing outboard of the left engine...he did
not hit the prop. Did you just assume it was a prop strike because of
the amputations?

In my mind's eye I can picture the scene exactly. Those Otters diving
through an absolute *crowd* of skydivers under canopy (literally!) and other
planes in the pattern, trying to get back on the ground as quickly as
possible to haul up the next load -- it gave me the willies to watch.

Your minds eye needs an adjustment. I wasn't there but I've made many
skydives and hauled even more loads of skydivers. The jump planes do
not dive "through an absolute crowd of skydivers". What a bunch of
crap! Jump pilots do try to be as efficient as possible getting a quick
turnaround for the next load. That doesn't mean we operate in a
reckless manner with "getting back for the next load" being the only
thing we're concentrating on. If you took the time to talk to some jump
pilots, or better yet ride with them, you'll find that the jump pilot
probably has a much better situational awareness then the usual GA pilot
coming into an airport. The jump pilot is well aware that he will be
descending into the airport area, that a midair collision risk is high.
He will take precautions/use procedures that help to lower the risk.

Just because an operation is outside your comfort zone or experience
level Jay does not mean it's unsafe or reckless.

This was a tragic accident. As another posted stated both the victim
and the pilot are known for being very safe operators.

And for the poster who made the comment about wanting the military gear
on his airplane because of jump planes...that made me laugh. You can't
imagine the number of times I've wished I had guns mounted on the jump
plane because of the unthinking, uncaring morons who come blasting
through a published, charted parachute operation placing themselves,
their passengers and the jumpers in great peril.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html