Old March 22nd 08, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Default Anyone know much about the Odyssey dry cell batteries?

Skrud wrote:
They are AGM batteries and will not leak if ruptured.

Get youself that and a Battery Tender Plus and you're good to go.

"Sliker" wrote in message
I'm thinking of using their biggest one, rated at 925 amps to crank my
IO-540 300hp engine. I'm wondering if they are the same type of
construction as the old dry cell flashlight batteries? The type that
had that black carbon inside, which are still sold as "heavy duty" D
cells, ect. The only downside I remember about them is if a
flashlight were left on by accident, and when they fully discharged,
they would then leak a messy substance and almost ruin whatever they
were in. And when they got too old they'd do the same thing. I just
wonder if those Odyssey batteries would do that. It would really be a
mess in the airplane if they did. I like the idea of their much longer
shelf and service life. I checked Bob Nuckolls site, but there's
nothing there about them. And my hard copy of his old Aeroelectric
connection was just starting to mention the RG batteries when it went
out of press and switched to a web based system. I think the aviation
dry-cell's weren't around then. I'm wondering if they need that 13.8
charging volts like the gel cells need, or if they aren't so
demanding.
Rich

They are nothing similar to the old dry cell batteries---their shape is

due to the way they are constructed---two long plates with the active
ingredients
smeared on 'em then rolled up to give close spacing inside---they have a
good High cranking amps vs weight ratio. you can go to their site & get
a complete low down on 'em. jerry