Old May 23rd 04, 10:54 PM
Kevin Christner

On 23 May 2004 21:39:41 GMT, (Snead1) wrote:

I am considering an upgrade of my lap top computer. I am operating a LX 7000
and Cambridge GPS NAV in the glider. I am also using Seeyou. I would like a
screen that is more visable in the sun. I am also concerned with the serial
interface with the two flight computers and turning in data logs to scorers.

What has worked out well?

Bill Snead
6W

Hi Bill,

I recently upgraded to a computer (Dell) with only USB interfaces. I
have tested several USB-Serial adapters, all have of which have
worked. It should be noted that these usually use COM4 as opposed to
the normal serial port of COM1.

If it proves to be a problem downloading the logs, you might consider
the purchase of an iPaq. You can use it to download logs from your
logger to a memory card in the iPaq. If you bring a card reader ($20)
to the contest, you can hand in your logs on the memory card. For the
LX7000, flyWithCE Downloader would be the appropriate program. I know
Cambridge has a program too, maybe Paul Remde could tell you where you
can find this.

You might check the Dell refurbished units. My family has bought 4 of
these over the past few years with no problems. These are computers
that were sent back to the factory, either as returns, or having a
small problem that was fixed. They usually retail for about 60-70% of
the normal cost.

If you like the 3D features of SeeYou you will want to consider a good
3D card. I skimped on this because I don't play games, but I'm
regretting it now with SeeYou. You will also want at least 512mb of
RAM.

I really don't know the specifics of screens, but I have a Dell
Inspiron 5150 that can be changed from CRT to LCD mode on they
keyboard. One works better than the other in the sun (quite a bit),
but don't ask me which one it is. I think most dells have this
feature.

Kevin Christner
Sailplane Navigation Solutions