Old January 14th 08, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Willis Gliderport

On Jan 13, 9:39�pm, "Mike Schumann" mike-nos...@traditions-
nospam.com wrote:
Is there any soaring going on at Willis Gliderport in Boynton Beach FL these
days?

--
Mike Schumann

Yes Mike....Bill Willis, age 88, and Henry Retting, R , reside there
and fly gliders year round ( Remember the blonde who would drive your
white van back to your trailer after launch during the CCSC contest?)
DOHT!
I have a 182 towplane and anyone visiting is more than welcome. Call
first (number is listed under the member section on in the local phone
book) for my schedule.
Bill Willis is one of Florida's original gliderpilots who still
holds the State record for a distance flight to a Goal. A Founding
Father of the Central Florida Soaring Club in the sixties, members
that included notables Brian Utley, Lou Rehr, John Byrd, Andy McQuiqq,
and others; he would go on to develope a private aviation community
with hopes of many glider enthusiast coming together. Hence the name ,
Willis Gliderport. Sadly the club would fade and the $50,000 1.5 acre
lots would be bought up by blue collar power pilots , all of whom
would become millionaires on their investments.
So , you got an aging sister to visit in Boca Vista? Bring your
glider and hope the seabreeze is working . I flew 3 hours on Saturday.
H Retting