Old November 18th 05, 01:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Yesterday's IFR flight with questions

On 17 Nov 2005 19:54:53 -0800, Doug wrote:

Hi Doug,

Was there an airmet for icing? I use this as a guide. If there is an
airmet for icing, and I will be in IMC, I don't go. The airmets are a
good guide. That and PIREPS.

No icing airmets or pireps just departure. I had called FSS 15 minutes
before leaving for the airport. If there would have been an airmet for
icing in my proposed route, that is an automatic no go for me.

AS for question 1. Ice can form anytime there is visible moisture and
temperatures are at or below freezing. So your question can't be
answered. It all depends. You know how the weather is, it is always
DIFFERENT!

To clarify my question, on my climb to 6000, the air temp was well above
freezing. It was still sleeting on the ground, and I was wondering just
how high above my head was the freezing level. I thought it was pretty
hardy sleet to remain in ice pellet form for over a 5000 feet fall.

Question 2 seems to be about seeing ice. Well, look. If you can see it,
you've got it! If you can't see it and you are in the clouds and its
below freezing you MIGHT have it. Clear ice can be smooth or rough. If
it looks clear it is clear. If it looks white, it is rime. Rime can be
smooth or rough too. And if some is clear and some is rime, then its
mixed.

I think with my plane being white, and nothing "reflective" to see the ice
like it was in the sun, it was harder to spot? It was on the temperature
probe that I clearly saw the white rime ice. I had looked on the wings for
the ice and didn't see it.

There really isn't any safe way to fly a small GA airplane around in
icing conditions without having deice system.

Absolutely agree with this. The weather forecast for my deciding to leave
did not have icing, the precip was to end within 10 miles and improving
ceilings en route. With the ground temp at 43 degrees, the cold front had
passed about 6 hours earlier, I did not expect the temperature to drop
above my head, which turned out to be a correct thought.

you should follow me. You won't get any ice, cause it will ALL BE ON MY
AIRPLANE!!! Except I don't do that anymore. I'd be back at 2G2 having a
soda. No ice.

I think for me, as cold and windy as it was, it would have been a hot cup
of coffee *smile*.

Allen