Old October 4th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Deane Judd

Default Center: Say type aircraft... Me: Citabria 7GCBC, Center: Ahhhhh???

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 23:41:58 GMT, Deane Judd
wrote in :

Once I included the "/A" to my request, I since never have been asked
"say type aircraft".

There's no correlation between the Equipment Code and the Type
Designator, that I'm aware of.

Agreed.

What type aircraft are you flying?

I fly a 1977 Cessna R172K (XP). It has a DME installed as well as a mode
C transponder, so the equipment code is "/A".

The point I was trying to make was that although ATC is stating "say
type aircraft", I believe they want to know the equipment code, in
addition to the type of Cessna. My experience was that saying, "Cessna
172," resulted in their repeating the question (statement). Once I
learned to say, "Cessna 172 /A", they were satisfied. I've not been
asked "say type aircraft" for the last 10 years or so, ever since I
added the "/A".