Old January 22nd 17, 09:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

Default Aerobatic Two Seat Gliders?

On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 10:03:45 AM UTC+1, wrote:
If price is an issue, I wonder how you plan to stay current. Tows with my B4 are roughly 40 euro to 3500ft.

I average about 100 glider flights a year. I stay current. In the winter, too. It's not about currency. It's not even about what I can afford. It's about how much I'm willing to spend on something that's frivolously for fun. (I also do power aerobatics at 249 Euro/hour.)

If you are set on being able to do aerobatics, why not look for a 21 or DG-1000 and try to pay the glider back using aerobatic rides?

$100,000 for a DG-1000 is over $1,000/month at 5% for 10 years. I'm not going to "pay that back using aerobatic rides."

There is currently a 1983 K-21 listed with an asking price of 69,000 Euro ($77,000). It will likely sell for close to that. My budget is about $35,000..

My club offers these on our DGs and people happily pay 75 euros for a tow to 2500ft with some loops and chandelles.

Why only to 2,500 ft? That only gives 1,000' for aerobatics. I've seen people pay $200 for a tow to 4,000' for an aerobatic ride.

Have flown 21,DG and Fox. Own a B4.

Same as above except I've only flown a B4 rather than owning one. Rather like the B4 actually.

I am asking for help in finding an aerobatic capable two seat glider that I can use for an occasional contest at my basic level and give some training.. An SGS 2-32 might do loops and rolls, but likely not much else for sportsman aerobatics. Picking on my budget or suggesting gliders that I've clearly indicated are outside my price range by a factor of 2 or 3 does not help.