Old April 15th 05, 03:10 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Mitty" wrote in message

Question for the controllers he

The KMIC VOR-A is a pretty vanilla approach. The FAF is the Gopher VOR
(GEP) about 5 miles north of the field. The missed procedure is to go
back to GEP and hold north, left turns -- depicted as a dotted race track
on the plate. (The FAA link seems to be broken for me, at least:
http://naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0405/05158VGA.PDF)

I have been vectored into that hold (not entered from a miss) and then
cleared for the approach. At that point, I flew the inbound leg towards
the VOR/FAF and continued down the approach path to KMIC. Seemed logical
to me and it certainly seemed to be what Minneapolis Approach was
expecting.

I have a CFII friend who thinks this was improper -- that since the hold
was not depicted on the approach plate (as part of the approach) that I
should have flown the full approach including the procedure turn. I guess
his thought is that I wasn't really receiving vectors since I was in the
hold.

If you made a turn (or more) in the hold which established your aircraft
inbound on the FAC then you DID fly the full approach.

Who is right here? Me and Approach, or my friend?

You and approach.