Old March 30th 13, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Schweizer 1-26 question

On Friday, March 29, 2013 8:36:41 PM UTC-4, BobW wrote:
My conclusion was a flatter gliding 1-26 would
likely reduce future frustrational situations, for me, in that part of the world.

That would be a SGS 1-36?

I went through my 1-26 phase of about 25 flights. I look forward to flying one again on a boomer day when there are minimal winds aloft.

It has been a privilege to fly a beautifully restored 1-26e and I thank the dedicated people that keep these gliders in the air. They are wonderfully simple machines and the experience of flying a bit of history is valuable.

On the other hand, the 1-26 quickly sorts out the great pilots who fly badges in them, from the mediocre pilots like me who end up paying for multiple tows to justify a single drive to the airport. Flying a 1-26 when there are strong winds aloft and strong sink is dismal and disheartening.