Old January 18th 04, 04:53 PM
Marty

"Joe Johnson" wrote in message
om...

"Gene Whitt" wrote in message
news
Y'All, over thirty years ago I taught such a pilot a bit past solo. He
stole a club plane and took a bottle up with him while he flew all over

the
S.F. Bay Area while telling ATC
what he was doing.. He passed out. Fortunately, or otherwise, the

aircraft
was trimmed for \a slight climb and headed nearly north.

He crashed in the Nevada desert with no injury to the 'pilot' but

destroyed
the aircraft. What a waste of instruction. Good or otherwise. A war

story
for every situation.

While I've got you attention. I had a 'new' experience this
afternoon when of the final landing of a pre-solo lesson the engine died

on
the runway.

I rolled clear of the runway and told tower we had an engine failure.

Then
I noted that the mixture was all the way out. The Student had 'leaned

the
mixture' as a part
of his post landing checklist.

I wonder if I'll live long enough to have happen to me, everything that

can
happen?
Gene

One of my CFIs tells the story of instructing a student to "throttle back"
to begin slow flight maneuvers. Instead, the student pulled the mixture,
killing the engine. When the student realized what he had done, he

pleaded
with the instructor, "your plane, your plane!" The CFI calmly replied,
"this aircraft was working when I handed it over to you. I don't want it
back now; it's not working!"

Heh,heh
Sounds like something my instructor would have said ;-)