Old February 13th 04, 04:23 PM
Fred the Red Shirt

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message ...
"Fred the Red Shirt" wrote in message
om...
nt (Krztalizer) wrote in message

I thought the main issue wasn't that he served, but that he didn't

complete his
obligation of service?

There were three points of contention that weren't on their face
absurd.

1) He took a position in AL working on the Senatorial Campaign staff
for a family frend. (Some sources say he was in charge which seems
unlikely given his age). So he applied for a tranfer from the TX
NG to the AL NG. That transfer was denied, ...
THere is no evidence that
Bush was ordered to return to duty in TX befor he actually did.
Now, if he was paid for serving in the AL guard then I guess
that at some point his tranfser was approved even if documents
directly confirming that have not surfaced.

You have discounted another very real probability; he could indeed have
subsequently been allowed by his commander to conduct training with that
Alabama unit while still assigned to his TXANG unit--known nowadays as
"equivalent training", at least on the ARMG side of the NG house. Happens
quite frequently.

Evidently it was known as "equivalent training" back then too:

http://www.talion.com/miss.gif

--

FF