Old February 25th 19, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default high tow vs low tow

To add a tiny bit, some high tow proponents have said, "I want to clear low obstructions, thus I fly high tow....!"
I usually counter with, if the towplane clears, there is typically enough energy for the glider to clear, even from low tow. Also, as Chip stated (and I agree), low tow does not require as much parasitic drag from the towplane tail to maintain a climb angle, thus more efficient. This also means the towplane is marginally higher clearing an obstacle, thus more energy for the sailplane to clear even if too low doing low tow.
Again, big wind gradient can be a negative factor if too low.

We break ground, sit in ground effect (pretty much the most efficient place for any aircraft), let towplane accelerate, break ground, then establish a climb. Once the sight picture looks good, the sailplane starts a climb.
Turbulence from towplane wing wash/vortex is essentially "0" since that does not really form until some climb is done. By the time it starts, the sailplane should be starting up.

As stated before, any method done wrong/incorrect is still poor.