Old September 22nd 05, 11:09 PM
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

me wrote:
In article FcpYe.269629$tt5.163046@edtnps90, On-Condition wrote:

No doubt, but I think either ratio will suffice as soon as you start,
especially with one of the inertial starters that just won't stop
once engaged. Walking the props used to be mandatory in the military
where even a desk gets a walkaround twice a day ;-)

Just what is an "inertial starter"?

I have seen references to them, mostly in literature about
airplanes built before the 1940s. But I have never seen a
description of one, or an explanation of how it is different
from any other type of starter.

If memory serves the term refers to wind up starters. If you have
ever seen "The Great Escape" they had one on the airplane James Garner
and Donald Pleasence flew in.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired